I must apologize for September’s workshop. FF HQ is going through some upheaval as we spent August looking for and buying a new house and September preparing and selling the current one. Time completely got away from me and before I knew it, the date for September’s workshop had passed. Again, my apologies for this and I hope you are all doing well!
For October’s workshop – lets focus on home studio or live performances (if you have been able to get out and play). Perhaps you made a video of yourself performing in a park, I know some of you have performed in pubs or other venues. Maybe you are like so many who continue to stay away from those gathering places. Doesn’t matter where you were, if you have a video performance you’ve recorded anytime over the past 3 or 4 months we’d love to help share it with the community!
November is still up in the air as far as whether or not a workshop will happen. The normal date would find us right in the middle of our move to the new location. I will do a much better job of letting you know soon!
We want to hear from you no matter your level of experience. It might seem like it takes a lot of courage to record and submit a performance but trust us, once you do it, you will want to do it again! Remember, if you need some help with recording please reach out for help in our FaceBook group or on our Discord server. There are no silly questions – we want to get you recording and participating!
Make your recording
- Mobile phone video is great, mobile phone audio is not.
- Record in your DAW at the same time as you record your video.
- If you are in a place where you have to use headphones, try taking the Tape Out from your mixer as line input to your camera.
- Make any EQ or compression tweaks to the audio and then export it.
- Don’t chop the audio up otherwise the next part may not work so well
- Open a video editor – most of them should let you do the next steps.
- Import the video from your phone or whatever camera you used
- Import the audio that you exported from your DAW
- Most video editors should let you use the embedded audio in the video from your phone to line up the audio you exported from your DAW.
- If you can’t do this simply line up the audio manually – nobody will mind if it is a little off – most of the time we won’t be able to tell anyway!
- Disable the audio track that was embedded in the video. (sometimes this is done for you)
- Export the video
When you are ready to submit:
- Name the file:
- IMPORTANT NOTE – performances submitted without the verifiable real name of the performer will not be included in the workshop video
- .mp4 and .mov are preferred
- Upload the file here before midnight October 11th.
- This is a dropbox link
- Include links to your bandcamp page / youtube channel / soundcloud / web page in a separate text file that has the same name but ends with .txt